Lengthly Letter by the Admor of Skulen
Rabbi Eliezer Zusia Portugal
“The institution shall be established at the resting place of Rabi Shimon Bar Yochai”
Handwritten and Autographed Letter by the Admor of Skulen, Rabbi Eliezer Zusia Portugal Concerning the Establishment of his Chessed L’Avraham Institutions in Meron
As part of the Admor of Skulen’s intense efforts on behalf of Jewish children, he established a Talmud Torah and Yeshivah in Meron for the children of the Galilee who weren’t accepted into the mainstream school system.
In the letter, the Admor asks for plaques to be hung in the classrooms bearing the names of the donors, as well as photographs to show donors who helped fund construction of the building.
He also references a Chassidic thought told by the Baal Shem Tov upon the words of our sages, “Hamaschil b’mitzvah omrim lo g’mor.”
The Admor Rabbi Eliezer Zusia Portugal from Skulen (1898-1982) was a great Torah sage who was connected to the Admorim of Ruzhin. He served as Rabbi of Skulen, Romania from the age of 17.
Later he was asked to move to Czernowitz were he established a Beis Medrash and devotedly cared for the Jews of Romania, especially child survivors of the war. He had an open home and supported many destitute children. He managed to leave Romania for America in the year 1960 where he established Mosdos Chessed L’Avraham to aid the children of survivors from Romania, Transylvania, Bukovina and Marmarosch.
The letter was sent to the Rabbi of Meron, Rabbi Meir Stern zt”l who was appointed by the Admor to oversee his institutions.
Brooklyn, 1967. Condition: Corner tear affecting text. • Additional Info: Written on two small pieces of stationery. The first page is double-sided. Entirely handwritten and autographed.
Any inquiries about this lot ?